The renovation and addition provide a total of 10 courtrooms: three district, two senior district, one district special proceedings, two magistrate, and two bankruptcy courtrooms.
Additionally, new space is dedicated to the U.S. Circuit, District, and Magistrate courts, the U.S. Marshals Service, U.S. Probation Office, U.S. Public Defenders, U.S. Attorney’s Office and the GSA’s public buildings service.
Electrical and Lighting Design Includes:
- Design of a new electrical service for each building
- A Charlotte lighting firm is designing court room, office, o pen office and National Register building lighting while Apogee is designing the remainder of the lighting. The latest control system will integrate day lighting and automatic control.
- A relatively new concept in energy control will be regulate 50% of the building office and open office receptacles.
- A new grounding system and short-circuit protection will handle any fault conditions that may arise during operation
- An emergency generator and associated switch gear will provide total back up of the building emergency and optional standby systems.
- A lighting protection system on the new annex will extend to the existing building.
- Indoor parking and a new prisoner control system will provide security to the people inside and outside of the building.
- A new 200 HP fire pump with underground support tank and two alternate sources of power will protect the building from fire should outside water sources fail.
- The design includes a new metering system that monitors every feeder in the building and sends information to the building automation system for display.